Temporary custody of minor children by relatives

An image of a Justice statue with law books in the background

This article is provided for informational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice. In this guide, we will address the most common questions and concerns related to alimony in Florida, helping you navigate the complex terrain of this important aspect of divorce law.

In today’s society, it is common for children to be cared for by someone other than a parent. Many times grandparents, aunts, uncles and other extended family members are called on to help care for young family members due to a parents work obligations that take them away from home, a parents incarceration, or even medical issues. Because the care of the children is being provided by their extended families, these children are not dependent children. This means that a dependency case is not necessary since there are no allegations of abuse or neglect.

Often times the extended family members run into road blocks that prevent them from enrolling the children in school, obtaining medical care, or even access to necessary legal documents. Florida Statute 751, Temporary Custody of Minor Children allows a process by which extended family members may petition the court for temporary custody to allow them access to all of these records, just as if they were a parent.

If you or someone you know thinks they need assistance with temporary custody of a minor child by extended family, please seek the advice of an attorney to answer your questions.

For more information regarding temporary custody, you can contact the law office of Schwam-Wilcox & Associates.

Blog Categories